Thursday, April 30, 2009

Sponge Bob and Burger King?

I recently heard about the Sponge Bob commercial in class and realized i needed to see it for myself. I looked up the commercial that was said to be annoying as it is funny. When I watched the cartoon meets burger king commercial I was completely floored at what I saw. It was a combination of MC HAMMER, Spongebob and half naked women. Although funny to me as an adult to others such as parents this is a controversial commercial due to its sexual explictiness. Spongebob has been known as a rising cartoon among younger adults and children it is always a show to watch to get a laugh out of. But I'm not sure Spongebob Squarepants is something that parents will no longer want their children to watch this show. Spongebob is taking on a new approach and becoming more of an adult cartoon instead of a childs cartoon. After all he is dancing with MC Hammer an 80's singer.

2 comments:

  1. I saw this commercial on TV the other week. Actually, my 10 year old sister was watching the TV when it came on during one of her favorite shows. I thought the commercial was totally inappropriate, especially as it was being aired on a childrens channel. Kids should not be watching women shake their bums, and making the womens' bums square does not make it acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this commercial and I found it pointless and disturbing. I don't understand why the media has to constantly put women on display for male pleasure. Can you honestly not sell your Whopper without having women shaking their "squarepants"? Do you have to advertise that you have SpongeBob toys now but having children associate him now with bouncing butts of women from BurgerKing commercials? I think they need to just stick to the sandwhiches and leave the booty shaking out of it.

    ReplyDelete